Dr David Instone-Brewer
Senior Research Fellow in Rabbinics and the New Testament
- Telephone INT +44 (0) 1223 566601+44 (0) 1223 566601
(but please use email if possible)
- Fax INT +44 (0) 1223 566608
- Email David Instone-Brewer
B.D. hons (Cardiff); Ph.D. (Cantab)
Tyndale Fellowship (TF)
Studiorum Novi Testamenti Societas (SNTS)
British Association for Jewish Studies (BAJS)
Society for Biblical Literature (SBL - now and then)
Committee for Bible Translation (CBT - translators of the NIV)
Rabbinic background to the New Testament with special interest in dating rabbinic sources.
Electronic resources for Biblical Studies.
Some of my websites:
- Rabbinic Traditions - Halakhic sources in Hebrew/Aramaic & English,
- Traditions of the Rabbis from the Era of the NT (TRENT) - neglected primary sources
- Tyndale Tech - electronic resources for Biblical Studies.
- TynCat - catalogue of Biblical Studies books at Tyndale House and Online
- 2LetterLookup - easy-to-use full-text lexicons for Biblical languages
- Divorce & Remarriage - a painful and difficult subject - now in PlaymoBible technicolor
- Marriage & Divorce Papyri - all the Jewish, Greek & Latin document from 5th C BCE to 5thC CE
- Visual Sermons - for real life, with real pictures
- Bible Picture Gallery - pictures for powerpoint lectures & sermons
- 1991: "Mene Mene Teqel Uparsin: Daniel 5.25 in Cuneiform" (Tyndale Bulletin 1991 42.2 pp. 310-316). (online version)
- 1992: Techniques and Assumptions in Jewish Exegesis Before 70 CE. (Mohr & Siebeck, Tübingen, Vol.30 of Texte und Studien zum Antiken Judentum). (Googlebooks)
- 1992: "1 Corinthians 9.9-11: A Literal Interpretation of 'Do Not Muzzle the Ox'" (New Testament Studies 38 1992 p554-565). (pre-pub version)
- 1996: "Three Weddings and a Divorce - God's marriage to Judah, Israel and the Church" (Tyndale Bulletin 47, 1996, 1-26). (online version)
- 1996: "Jesus and the Psychiatrists" in The Unseen World: Christian Reflections on Angles, Demons and the Heavenly Realm Ed Anthony N.S.Lane (Baker Books, Grand Rapids, Paternoster, Cumbria, 1996) pp. 133-148.(pre-pub version)
- 1997: "Deuteronomy 24:1-4 and the Origin of the Jewish Divorce Certificate", (Journal of Jewish Studies 49, 1998, 230-243) (pre-pub version)
- 1998: "Nomological Exegesis in Qumran 'Divorce' Texts", (Revue de Qumran, 18, 1998, 561-579) (pre-pub version)
- 1999: "Jewish women divorcing their husbands in early Judaism: the background to papyrus Se'elim 13", (Harvard Theological Review, 92, 1999, 349-57) (pre-pub version)
- 1999: Consultant editor on the Gospels and three articles in the New Lion Handbook of the Bible (Oxford: Lion, 1999)
- 1999: "Comfort" in the New dictionary of Biblical theology eds., T. Desmond Alexander, Brian S. Rosner. consulting editors: D.A. Carson, Graeme Goldworthy, Steve Carter (Leicester. Inter-Varsity. 2000 ) (pre-pub version)
- 1999: "The Use of Rabbinic Sources in Gospel Studies", (Tyndale Bulletin 50, 1999, 281-298) (online version)
- 2000: "Jesus' Old Testament Basis for Monogamy", in The Old Testament in the New Testament: Essays in Honour of J.L.North ed. Steve Moyise, JNTS Supp 189 (Sheffield: Sheffield Ac Press, 2000) 75-105 (pre-pub version)
- 2000: "Jesus's Last Passover in the Synoptics and in John", (Expository Times, 112, 2001, 122-123) (pre-pub version)
- 2001: "1 Corinthians 7 in the light of the Graeco-Roman Marriage and Divorce Papyri" (Tyndale Bulletin, 52, 2001, 101-116). (online version)
- 2001: "1 Corinthians 7 in the light of the Jewish Greek and Aramaic Marriage and Divorce Papyri" (Tyndale Bulletin, 52, 2001, 225-243) (online version)
- 2002: "Choosing a Legal System in Early Judaism" in Review of Rabbinic Judaism, Ancient, Medieval, Modern (Brill, forthcoming). (pre-pub version)
- 2002: Divorce and Remarriage in the Bible: the social and literary context (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2002) (website)
- 2002: "Paul's Literal Interpretation of 'Do not muzzle the ox'", in The Trustworthiness of God: Perspectives on the Nature of Scripture eds. Paul Helm and Carl R. Trueman (Eerdmans, 2002) (pre-pub version)
- 2003: "The Two Asses of Zechariah 9:9 in Matthew 21" (Tyndale Bulletin, 54, 2003, 87-98) (online version)
- 2003: "The Eighteen Benedictions and the Minim Before 70 CE" (Journal of Theological Studies, NS, 54, 2003, 25-44) (pre-pub version)
- 2004: "Theology of Hermeneutics", in Encyclopedia of Midrash: biblical interpretation in formative Judaism eds. Jacob Neusner and Alan J. Avery Peck (Brill, 2004) (pre-pub version)
- 2004: "James as a Sermon on the Trials of Abraham" in The New Testament in Its First Century Setting: Essays on Context and Background in Honour of B.W. Winter on his 65th Birthday, eds P.J. Williams, Andrew D. Clarke, Peter M. Head, David Instone-Brewer (Eerdmans, 2004): 250-268. (pre-pub version)
- 2004: "Comparing Neusner's and Guggenheimer's Translations of the Jerusalem Talmud" (Review of Rabbinic Judaism 7, 2004, 176-184) (pre-pub version)
- 2004: Traditions of the Rabbis from the Era of the New Testament, vol.1 Prayer and Agriculture (Online Version) (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2004).
- 2006: "The Scandal of Equality in Jesus' Ethical Teaching" in Priscilla Papers 20 (2006) 2:17-22. (pre-pub version)
- 2008: "Balaam-Laban as the key to the Old Testament quotations in Matthew 2" in Built upon the Rock: studies in the Gospel of Matthew, ed. Daniel M. Gurtner (Grand Rapids, Mich.; Cambridge, U.K. : Eerdmans, 2008) 207-227. (pre-pub version)
- 2009: "Jewish Associations in Roman Palestine: Evidence from the Mishnah" by David Instone-Brewer and Philip A. Harland (JGRChJ 5, 2009, 200-221) (pre-pub version)
- 2009: "Review Article: Richard M. Davidson's Flame of Yahweh: A Theology of Sexuality in the Old Testament" by David Instone-Brewer (Andrews University Seminary Studies, 46, 2008, 245-250) (pre-pub version)
- 2009: "Infanticide and the apostolic decree of Acts 15" (Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society. 52, 2009, 301-321) (pre-pub version)
- 2011: "Rabbinic Writings in New Testament Research" in vol.II of The Handbook of the Study of the Historical Jesus (4 vols, eds. Tom Holmén & Stanley E. Porter; Leiden: Brill, 2011) pp.1687-1721 (pre-pub version)
- 2011: Traditions of the Rabbis from the Era of the New Testament, vol.2 Feasts and Sabbaths: Passover and Atonement) (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2011) (website)
- 2011: "Jesus of Nazareth’s Trial in the Uncensored Talmud" (Tyndale Bulletin, 62, 2011, 269-294) (pre-pub version)
- 2001: Divorce and remarriage in the 1st and 21st Century, Grove Biblical Studies booklet (Cambridge: Grove Books, 2001).
- 2003: Divorce and Remarriage in the Church: Biblical Solutions for Pastoral Realities (Carlisle, Cumbria: Paternoster Press 2003 & Downers Grove: Intervarsity Press, USA 2007).
- 2003: "Divorce for 'Any Cause'", Whitefield Briefing (8.5, Dec. 2003).
- 2005: "The historical Jesus among the rabbis : prayer, divorce and earthly rewards" in Anvil 22 (2005) 173-182 (pre-pub version)
- 2006: "What God has Joined Together" in Christian Reflection: Marriage (Baylor University, 2006).
- 2007: "Jesus’ Sabbath Dispute with Pharisees in a Cornfield" (Jerusalem Perspective)
- 2007: "What God has Joined", Christianity Today (Oct. 2007) 26-29.
- 2007: "Not lost in translation", Christianity magazine (Dec. 2007) 28-31
- 2007: "Evangelical Separation Anxiety: What the Bible says about Divorce", The Wall Street Journal (Apr.6 2007).
- 2007: (Time magazine interview): "An Evangelical Rethink on Divorce?" by David Van Biema, Time (Nov. 5th 2007).
- 2007: "Rabbinic Reflections on Living Sacrifices at Romans 12:1" (Jerusalem Perspective)
- 2008: "Links with Tabernacles and Hanukkah in the Gospel Accounts of Palm Sunday" (Jerusalem Perspective)
- 2011: Embarrassing Bible Texts? (a column in Christianity magazine - see the Archive)
- 2012: The Jesus Scandals (Lion Hudson, 2012)